Leo Lichtman

Default sheet metal gas engine project

nanotech1 wrote: i was looking at some web site about the crosley engine
notice that cylinder and head section was made of brazed sheet metal (clip)
This goes back so many years, that I'm not sure my memory can be trusted,
but I recall hearing that that engine was originally intended to be
"disposable." It was parachuted into combat areas, never intended to have a
long life. It seems to me that was the explanation given for why it was
never a very good automotive engine.

That is not to say that a good engine could not be made using sheet-metal
stampings and precision cylinder liners.