Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Default WHat is this wood? Is it good for projects?

Three basic tools are needed to do "most" woodworking.

(1) table saw
(2) jointer
(3) planer

Dealing with "rough cut stock" requires the above.

If you choose to use sized stock, which is already
planed, jointed and flat, then you can do with less.

Many beginners begin the journey with plywood which
does not require a planer or a jointer.

A table top planer can be a fine investment and will
"almost" pay for it self in the first major load of
rough sawn stock you size with it.

The jointer is used for another type operation and can
not be easily replaced by any other tool. If you are to
have flat, square stock, a jointer is almost required.

A 6" jointer can be had for less money and is used by
a great many people. I would save up for a 8".

Woodworking is a continuous purchase to get setup.

Spend wisely and you will be ready to go in a year or two.

A quick check on Ebay finds many nice little jointers in the
300-400 range. Shipping becomes an issue with large tools but
you might get lucky on location.

stryped wrote:

As you know I am a newbie. I have a table say, and just got a router
and table for Christmas. SO please for give my basic questions.

I have someone that works at a wood flooring plant that got me some
wood that were quality check pieces. The were dried in a kiln of the
company. The ar erough sawn or seem to be. Can you tell me what they
are and if they would be good for projects? They are varying widthe
between 6 inches and 10 inches. They are all 1inch thick. I am guessing
white oak but may be wrong.