Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Waiting for wood

"Christopher Horner"
I'm in Southern California and SWMBO has prodded me to stop acquiring
tools and gadgets, and start actually building something useful. In that
vein, I need to ask a question about wood and weather.

I understand that wood needs to 'acclimatize' when brought home, to
stabilize in other words. My question is where should I let it
acclimatize? In the workshop, which is an uncontrolled environment (read:
a detached garage with no HVAC), or inside the house where the finished
wood product (decorative face frame for cleated alcove shelves) will be
used?

Thanks,

Chris

Here in SOCal, using lumber purchased locally, the humidity is stable. Wood
movement is minimal. You should still plan on it when planning and building
your projects, but I have found no need to acclimatize it. Also, as a
hobbyist, the wood does in fact sit during the process anyway.

Dave