Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Flywheel on a rotary phase convertor

Jim and Dan . . . .

Hmmmmnnnn ... I never thought of it that way. If I may describe what I
think it was you said:

You have a pony motor driven RPC, connected as in other RPC's described in
this thread, where the single-phase pony and 2 terminals of the 3-phase
idler and 2 terminals of the 3-phase load are all connected across a
single-phase source. The pony, an induction motor, is belted such that it
mechanically drives the idler ( 3-phase motor) at a speed greater than
synchronous speed. If I "see" it correctly you'd have a RPC (includes load)
which runs at a speed somewhere beyond normal synchronous speed of the
3-phase load motor.

Jim's comment, "It will behave like an alternator at that point
and deliver the mechanical power that is entering the shaft to the
electrical load" seems to be spot on."

Well! Knock me over with a rubber dick, err, make that rubber duck. Seems
to me that ought to work. Id'd bet it is kind of tricky to get the right
belt, or gear, ratio between the pony and idler. I suppose, though, it
would just refuse to "generate" if everything was not properly sized. BTW -
how would you know if it was functioning as an induction generator ? If
the load motor was running at greater than its normal synchronous speed -
it'd be generating, right??

Bob (learns something new every day) Swinney

PS: Hey, why not use a 3-phase pony to get things started and then, and
then, then . . .connect the 3 terminals of the load back to the 3 terminals
of the pony. Vee-I-ola! Perpetual motion, Naw!

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Robert Swinney says...

It seems to me you may be describing an idler driven by a pony motor,
similar to systems in which the pony is disconnected after the idler has
come up to speed. Could this be the case you're describing, except that
the
pony motor is not disconnected after the starting interval?

Dan's comments there are about deliberatly driving the idler motor
at above slip speed.
Jim

please reply to: