Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Default Best way to remove picture hooks from wall

WM wrote:
What is the best way to remove the newer style picture hooks?
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/72/p1657772_l.jpg

Q.1 -- What method of removal miminises the damage to the wall, given
that I already have several of these in the wall?

Pull or carefully pry them STRAIGHT away from the wall. Those hangers
are constructed to resist forces that primarily pull down towards the floor.

Q.2 -- Is there a way to fix these in future (perhaps by not
hammering the pins right in???) which permit them to come away with
less wall damage?

If you remove them by pulling them straight away, the wall damage will
be minimal.

Any small holes you'll have can be easily filled with spackle, smoothed
with a damp sponge, and touched up with paint.

This won't help you right now, but I'll share it. A few years ago, as I
painted rooms, I started storing labeled mason jars with leftover paint.
I store them upside down to create a liquid seal which keeps the paint
fresh. Each jar is labeled with a date, color name and brand, sheen,
and the room I used it. The mason jars are very handy for touch-ups and
much easier to deal with than the original containers.