Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Default Weirdest Post You'll Read Today--Suicide and "Spots on Ceiling"

run away. fast and far. If the roof "leaked badly" as the seller
admits, and yet the only fix was to roll a new layer of asphalt on top,
there is likely serious water damage above the ceiling. You're seeing
stains soaking through now, it'll only get worse. Any insulation up
there will be soaked and a breeding ground for mold, same for any wood.

If you really really want this place (though I would recommend against
it), have a contractor accompany you to the property for an inspection.
Get a rough idea what the repair would cost for a new roof (yes, new -
it'll possibly have to be stripped and replaced including sheathing),
new drywall ceiling, insulating, etc. Add several thousand to that
estimate and deduct the total from the purchase price. I would also
give serious thought to a thorough inspection of the rest of the house.

You also mention a fuse box instead of breakers. That by itself isn't
a terrible thing, but it does indicate that the electrical system
hasn't been updated. If you're STILL planning on buying, you might
also ask an electrician for a rough estimate (bring one along with the
gen. contractor on your inspection) and deduct THAT + a couple thousand
from the purchase offer.

If you're buying this house to plonk 'ma down in and hoping that it'll
be low maintenance, I think you might be mistaken. It's apparently an
older house, with at least one known major problem (recent, severe roof
leak), and another potential problem (wiring), and who knows what else
(old plumbing?). I can't see it, so I can't say for sure, but I would
definitely recommend against it based on your description.