Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

Default Lathe

John,

I fly a Jet 1442. Had it about 18 months and am still tickled with it. It
ain't perfect, but its darn good. If you watch, you might get a sale at
Woodcraft--Washington's birthday or such.

I'd buy it again if I had the chance. (But it only cost me $700 when I
bought it!)

Walt C

"John Stout" wrote in message
Evenin folks I've been lurkin for a few months and this looks like the
place I can ask a newby question without too much flack. What is the best
lathe for under 1,000.00 to start with? I've looked at jet and delta and
read some bad reviews on both. ( some good ones too ) as for use I might
want to turn pens, bowls, table legs etc so I want something heavy and
that can handle around 40" length, but still be precise enough for small
light work?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
John