Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Lathe

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"John Stout" wrote:

I can ask a newby question without too much flack. What is the best
lathe
for under 1,000.00 to start with? I've looked at jet and delta and read
some

A used one, IMHO. Depends what you can find. Old used North American
cast iron is usually a better long-term bet, and often less out of
pocket than new imported stuff. Sometimes you might need a new motor, or
new bearings, or a VFD to run a 3-phase unit if you don't happen to have
3-phase at home, but you can often do those things and still come out
ahead, $ wise and lathe wise.

Used is a real good option. Bear in mind, anything which is cast iron and
broken/missing will likely not be replaceable. Bearings, pulleys, screws
and handles come off the shelf or can be fabricated.

It's rigidity, not weight which counts, so while you're shopping, make sure
that the unit has good, positive locks to keep its components in line and
constant reference to each other. If you want weight, you can add it, up to
the weight of mother earth, when you bring it into the shop.

Another nice thing about used lathes is that a lot of them include other
goodies like tools.