Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

Default Centering router on table base

The George entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
I am considering messing with one or two of the holes I drilled,
perhaps enlarging the appropriate holes to try to swing the centre
into alignment, or perhaps drilling another set of holes after
rotating the router a bit.

Pretty much standard installation to have oversize holes and pan-head screws
to allow centering in the counterbores. I wouldn't be ashamed of such an
installation.

That sound you hear is the slapping of my palm against my forehead!

Dang! The router base is held on with flat-head screws, and both the
router base and table base have countersunk holes. The instructions
that came with the table base specify countersunk holes.

I offer this in a feeble attempt to excuse my tunnel vision, which
caused me to just go with the countersinking, and not even considering
pan-head screws, oversized holes, and counterbores.

Unless you're working with machine tools of some sort, the kind of accuracy
that will allow the taper of a screw head to draw the thing centered seems
a trial and accidental success adventure.

You're absolutely right, of course!

Thanks a bunch, George.

---
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like
my grandfather, not screaming in terror,
like his passengers.