Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Centering router on table base

Oleg Lego wrote:
I am having a little trouble centering my router on a table insert.

I picked up a Skil 1825, and a Freud Universal Router Table Base (the
black phenolic one with the red and grey inserts). The problem is that
in order to mount the router, I have to use the router baseplate as a
drill template, and centering it on the table base after removing it
from the router is pretty much a hit and miss operation.

What I did so far was:
1. unscrewed the router base
2. put a Freud guide bushing (3/8" ID) into the table base insert
3. mounted a 1/4" pilot bit in the router collet
4. put the router and base on the table insert, with the pilot bit
centred in the guide bushing as best I could
5. Taped the router base edges to the table base
6. Clamped the router base to the table base
6. drilled and countersunk holes (with drill press) using the router
base mounting holes as guides.

I think I may have let something slip a bit, and perhaps did so even
after I drilled the first two or three holes. I can just get the
router attached to the table base. It's difficult because one or two
of the holes are visibly offset after I line up two of them.

The end result is that when I put in the 3/8" ID guide bushing and the
1/4" pilot bit, the bit is in contact with one side of the ID of the
guide bushing. So, it's close, but I want it closer.

I am considering messing with one or two of the holes I drilled,
perhaps enlarging the appropriate holes to try to swing the centre
into alignment, or perhaps drilling another set of holes after
rotating the router a bit.

Either is satisfactory. Main thing is to get the router fastened to the
table insert...router need not be dead center on it.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...