Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default Face frame attachment with biscuits

Chuck Miller wrote:

I'm about to biscuit-attach a face frame for a bookcase, and it
occurs to me that if I don't get the rail lengths exactly right,
the stile slots won't mate with the carcase slots. I guess if
they don't, I'll have to adjust the position of the slots and
re-biscuit-joint--not the type of experimentation I am looking
forward to. It just seems that working with biscuits in
two-dimensions is tricky business.

So, could anyone share their strategies for applying a precision
fit to a face frame/carcase attachment. Do only rails (or stiles)
get the biscuits? Do you first dry-fit the stiles, the cut (and
attach with pocket screws) the rails, then attach with biscuits.

What about overhanging the FF by a bit then using a flush-cutting
router bit? Would one cut the FF a bit proud, then adjust the
slot on the FF accordingly. Rather than doing this, I would
prefer a flush fit, however.

Thanks for any discussion/war stories.

Chuck
Colorado

I've never done any face frame construction, but I believe I
understand your question and have a thought on how I would tackle it.

I'd assemble the face frame, then make biscuit slots on both stiles.
Then make slots on the LEFT side of the carcass. I would hook a tape
into a slot on the face frame and measure precisely to the inside edge
of the opposing slot on the face frame. I would then transfer that
measurement to the carcass making a fine mark with a pencil. Then,
adjust the slot cutter to cut the carcass exactly on that line.

I'd say that if you're careful measuring, it should be a plenty
accurate fit.

Joe Barta