Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Waiting for wood

"Christopher Horner" wrote in message
news:J8uwf.5195$ZA5.1889@fed1read05...
I'm in Southern California and SWMBO has prodded me to stop acquiring
tools and gadgets, and start actually building something useful. In that
vein, I need to ask a question about wood and weather.

Good for her! Woodworking is more fun than tool collecting.

I understand that wood needs to 'acclimatize' when brought home, to
stabilize in other words. My question is where should I let it
acclimatize? In the workshop, which is an uncontrolled environment (read:
a detached garage with no HVAC), or inside the house where the finished
wood product (decorative face frame for cleated alcove shelves) will be
used?

The important thing is that the wood is all the same. You don't want to
glue a panel out of a board that been in a dry place with one that has been
in a humid place. Since your workshop (and presumably the lumber yards) are
uncontrolled, that is what you want.

My wood usually stays in my basement for a while between being purchased and
used, but I have used wood the same day when I have run short and I can't
see where it has ever mattered. There are bigger issues to worry about than
waiting for wood.