Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Bandsaw table insert

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I got a Delta 28-475x band saw a little while ago. Since it is winter,
the garage is a little cold so I can't do as much wood working now as I
want to. The question I have is do most people replace the metal table
insert that comes with any bandsaw? The I received doesn't sit flush
with the table top (up a little higher) so I was going to buy a phenolic
one...not only for this reason but to create a zero-clearance insert.
Has anyone used the ZC inserts or had problems with the 'stock' one not
sitting flush with the table top?

I've had the plastic ones in mine for years. Started with the thought, as
you seem to have, that it would be a zero clearance. Then I found out
that all the dust that used to fall through was now carried back upward.
First time you tilt the table, you'll discover the width you want open in
the one you use all the time. Have a zero available for narrow short
work.

If your metal one is pretty good other than the thickness, you can clean
the seat, make sure it doesn't rock, and lap the top.

Most of the metal inserts I've seen are light, soft aluminum. They're easy
to level with a belt sander, but after one managed to get snatched away, I
took to wearing gloves to do that job. Turn the sander upside down, of
course. The finest belt grit you have. Check frequently, because the stuff
cuts FAST!