Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

Default Buying second-hand PVCu french doors

On 9 Jan 2006 07:03:09 -0800, wrote:

Difficult to say, but AFAIK the French make their
doors just like ours. Perhaps you could e-mail or
write to the manufacturer? Babelfish translations
might be useful if you don't speak the language.

Oh Chris. I know, I know.
But EVERYONE calls them french doors, and if I ask a
question about "french windows" someone will say :
"Difficult to say, but AFAIK the French make their windows ..." (!)

The manufacturer is unknown - there were on a new-build house.

I call them "Fenetre Francais"!

I suspect that the building control people will want some sort of spec
on the doors (Windows!) and at the very least you need to check they
are toughened and manufactured to the correct BS specification.

Have you considered getting the individual units replaced? Would the
council be happy with tnat?

It's possible that once the frame is removed you'll find a sticker
with a manufacturer's name on it.

Before parting with any cash I'd run the idea past the council and see
what they say.

sponix