Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Help with lighting issue please

the common "reading bulb" sold in the 1950's was often as high as 250
watts incandescent.
now since then tv's and their reflection glare and using the computer
from the lazyboy recliners are all factors in the living room. i'm
using a a well shaded small desk halogen lamp for keyboard lighting, a
wallmounted pair of 3 way swingout 250w threeways to my left for wife
reading the newspaper; and a 300w quartz halogen torchiere floorlamp
with dimmer on my right for general illumination or my reading a
magazine. in the other corner of the 12x19 living room is a 39w double
d flourescent dimmable torchiere but it's a cool white for energy
saving general illumination, but not bright enough for reading. the
halogens are a nice warm welcoming light like the sun. if you pick cool
white flourescents at 6100k by mistake instead of nice warm white
flourescents at 2700k you may feel less comfortable. when you hit age
40 and reading glasses prescriptions, we found it may be easier to
change to a comfortable font and read the newspaper online with the
computer at a comfortable no glasses needed distance.
most cfl flourescent twist bulbs are not for enclosures. i can't see
your ceiling cans, they probably trap heat, but i would expect you
would need to consider reading the fine print before simply burning out
by overheating a bunch of new 42 watt in and 170 watt out screw-in
compact flourescent lamps.
on those dimmable floor lamp torchieres you wand a solid reflector
shade not perforated or translucent glass or it reflects onto the tv.