Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Square-Edge Bowl

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:42:13 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

I tried my first square-edge bowl today. The blank was a 5" x5" x 2" piece
of Honduras Mahogany. All went well as I mounted the blank on the woodworm
screw of my Super Nova chuck and proceeded to turn the back side of the
bowl. I was sanding with a small piece of sandpaper, when my hand slipped
and a couple of the wings cut two small, but deep gashes in my second
finger. Ouch!

After a little self-applied first-aid, I resumed turning and finished my
first square-edge bowl, a little wounded and perhaps, (hopefully) a bit
smarter. Watch those wings!

Barry

been there, done that... especially while learning to make Angel Wing bowls from
Darrell's site!

(Hurts like a sumbitch when the wing comes around and raps your knuckle, too)

I use 2 lines of defense now:

I buy the "turner's bargain box" of roll-ends from
http://www.woodworkingshop.com

It's good sandpaper cheap and has a VERY thick backing... I've found that if I
take a 10 or 12" piece and bend it almost double, it forms sort of an oval shape
that can be held at one end and let "flap" on the surface to be sanded... the
loop and backing form sort of a shock absorber and you don't get smacked OR
vibrated to death..

If I have to make contact with the moving wings, I keep a couple of chunks of 2"
foam rubber to wrap the sandpaper around and keep my fingers on the non-sanding
side of the foam...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing