Posted to rec.woodworking
shooter

Default WHat is this wood? Is it good for projects?

Cabinets look like they are red oak. Boards are hard to tell, could be
red oak or ash.

Ronnie

stryped wrote:
As you know I am a newbie. I have a table say, and just got a router
and table for Christmas. SO please for give my basic questions.

I have someone that works at a wood flooring plant that got me some
wood that were quality check pieces. The were dried in a kiln of the
company. The ar erough sawn or seem to be. Can you tell me what they
are and if they would be good for projects? They are varying widthe
between 6 inches and 10 inches. They are all 1inch thick. I am guessing
white oak but may be wrong.

Here are pictures I took:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ashlee...bum?.dir=/7d65

I guess I cant do much with them because of being rough sawn. I am very
tempted to buy a small 12 inch planerr at Lowes. (Delta) I know it is
probably not the best but all I can afford. Would really like a jointer
too but can not afford both. I know they make a planer/jointer but the
widest they seem to do is 6 inches.

Not sure what I want to get into but have lots of things around the
house I need. First thing I would like to make my mom and wife a
project in a book I boght. It was a drawer that had a butcher block on
top of it. the drawer held you knives. I'd like to finish it the same
as my cabinets. (Can you tell me what type of wood my cabinets are?)
There are also larger projects I would like to do like a bookshelf and
an entertainment center and some cabinets for my garage.

One last thing. I have bought some woodworking books and one of them
said you can finish and true an edge of a board with a router and
table. Is this true and could this be use dinstead of having to buy a
jointer?

Again, thanks for your help and advice!