Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Miller

Default Face frame attachment with biscuits

I'm about to biscuit-attach a face frame for a bookcase, and it occurs
to me that if I don't get the rail lengths exactly right, the stile
slots won't mate with the carcase slots. I guess if they don't, I'll
have to adjust the position of the slots and re-biscuit-joint--not the
type of experimentation I am looking forward to. It just seems that
working with biscuits in two-dimensions is tricky business.

So, could anyone share their strategies for applying a precision fit to
a face frame/carcase attachment. Do only rails (or stiles) get the
biscuits? Do you first dry-fit the stiles, the cut (and attach with
pocket screws) the rails, then attach with biscuits.

What about overhanging the FF by a bit then using a flush-cutting router
bit? Would one cut the FF a bit proud, then adjust the slot on the FF
accordingly. Rather than doing this, I would prefer a flush fit,
however.

Thanks for any discussion/war stories.

Chuck
Colorado