Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default first attempts tig welding...or, "how to get really fast grinding tungsten"

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:15:54 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

Thanks for the tips both of you! I regularly solder 100 pin SMT parts with
no problem, but I
haven't had to grind my soldering iron point because it welded to the
circuit board in quite some time. :-)

If you can do that, you clearly have the hand-eye coordination and
control to become an excellent TIG welder with some practice.

Another poster suggested arranging the TIG torch cables for minimum
strain and weight. I forgot to mention that in my previous post, but
I do that too and it helps a lot. Ideally, you want the TIG torch
to be almost easy to wield and manipulate as the solder'n ahrn you
use for sticking SMT's in place.