Posted to uk.d-i-y
phillipthorne

Default Two stage update to old central heating system - expert advice please

Hi,

I have an old central heating system which needs changes and
improvements and so I would be grateful for some expert advice please.
At present I have a Homeglow fire/back boiler combination system which
feeds an old rectangular indirect tank in the bathroom. There is only
one pump for the three radiators which it also feeds and the hot water
tank appears to heat from conduction only. With the combined header
tank in the bathroom, at two feet above the sink and bath taps, means
that ground floor user's gets priority for hot water.

My ideal is to eventually do away with the fire/back boiler combination
and to put a condensing boiler outside in the lean-to section of the
house. An on-demand system seems ideal but advice, or pointers to
information, on this would be appreciated. I'm not sure of the
benefits between different systems at present to make any kind of
informed judgement.

Right now I have to move the existing tank into the loft so that I can
update the bathroom and so I need to install something which will fit
in with my future plans of moving the heating source to the outside
location.

Ideally I'd like to do something at this point in time which didn't
involve having to have two water tanks in the loft as I've seen
heating cylinders which look to be completely self contained and highly
efficient.

By sighting a new hot water cylinder directly above where the present
one is then I can simply extend the existing piping up into the loft
and through adding pumps and valves I can make things much more
efficient and suitable for the house. Basically I need a two stage plan
that will allow me to expand and improve the existing system but which
will hopefully contribute components to an eventual ideal system.

All comments and advice grateful received and thanks in advance
Kind regards and best wishes
Phillip