Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rayburn for central heating

Hi

I've been asked by a friend to install a Rayburn multifuel in a french
property of his. I have the following questions:

1) He already has a cylinder for the hot water installed with immersion
heater which he says he wants to leave. So the system will be just the
central heating. Are there any problems with this? Is it more advisable
to have a gravity run to the cylinder as a "heat bleed".??

2)If I run 5 large radiators off the Rayburn in a fairly standard 2
bedroom house what pipe sizing would you recommend? 22mm for the main
flow and return and 15mm for the radiator runs? The system will be
pumped.

3) He says I can just plug the pump in, are there any problems with the
pump being permanently on (whilst the rayburn has fuel in)? I can see
problems if the pump is on a stat - the heat won't dissipate from the
Rayburn so I can't think of another solution other than manually
switching the pump on and off. What fuse size for the pump inside the
plug -3 amps as that's all central heating usually has??

4) If I was to use gravity, what pipe sizes would I need? How much
extra warm up time would there be?

5) He wants to use car antifreeze in the system as the property will be
hardly used in Winter. Any problems with that?

Thanks to any replies!!!

Jon