Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lauri

Default Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long)

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:52:49 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Lauri wrote:

I went to an Open House today. The home was built in the 1940's and
had been remodeled/trimmed out by a master carpenter. It was
beautiful from top to bottom--vintage doors, perfect 50 year old
hardwood floors, built-in oak bookcases, crown molding, baseboard,
trim, etc. 3000 square feet of beautifully restored home for a mere
quarter of a million dollars. Gahhh. It's going to take me awhile to
forget that house, as it was gorgeous and so well cared-for.

Hmm,
1/4 mil. will buy a little dingy shack on a palm sized lot here in
Calgary. That house sounds nice for looking but what's underneath,
between walls, above the ceiling? Wiring, plumbing, whole shebang of
things to check out.

It's all in the market. 1/4 million would buy a shack in the Seattle
area as well, but I'm a couple hours east of there where you can still
buy a very nice place for that amount. Of course an inspection would
be done before any home purchase but for that amount of money in this
market, you'd be buying a pretty nice home in most cases. I was in
the basement workshop area and looked at the ceiling, where I saw lots
of nice copper plumbing.

Lauri in WA