Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Soldering copper pipe connected to PEX

PEX has been used in England for over thirty years with no problems.
Most people who have never heard of it confuse it with the black tubing
used about 15 years ago that gave so much problems.

I saw a test done with PEX that convinced me. This person took a 12
inch piece and filled it up with water and then clamped off both ends
with the closed pex fittings. Then it was frozen. The PEX didn't bust
at all. Then it was allowed to thaw out and put under a propane torch
until it was scorced a bit. Still didn't leak. Then this piece was
opened and put in line under pressure of 100 PSI. Still didn't leak or
budge. I've seen copper develop pinhole leaks in the worst place but
this PEX is still going fine. Perhaps you too would need to see these
tests to believe it.

Stubby wrote:

Google up Wirsbo and check out their "WRITTEN" 25 year warranty on
AquaPex.
Ever try and get a copper pipe or fitting mfg., to cover a defective
piece? Forget about it.

If you are indeed an old fart, 25 years is long enough.

Well, (1) it took 30 years for the copper tubes in my concrete slab to
rot out. (2) Will AquaPex be around in 25.1 years? (3) will they
have assets so you can sue?

FWIW, I went through this decision in 2001 and came up with "Use Copper"
and chop slots in the slab to get passed doors.

And, check national, state and local building codes to see if PEX is
permitted for fresh water. If you're doing heating lines, you will
also want to do fresh water at the same time.