Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tdup2

Default Lathe

Hi John,

I also looked at both and ended up with the Delta. It works good but wish I
would have spent the couple hundred extra and bought the heavier Jet.
Nothing beats a good heavy lathe. The less tendency to vibrate the better
finish you can put on with the tools themselves. If you tall like me the Jet
is a little higher. I did build a platform for the Delta and clamp the feet
down to stop some of the vibration. I also built two sets of drawers under
the lathe to hold tools and that also helps in keeping the vibration down.
The Jet is just heavier all around.

Tim

"John Stout" wrote in message
Evenin folks I've been lurkin for a few months and this looks like the
place I can ask a newby question without too much flack. What is the best
lathe for under 1,000.00 to start with? I've looked at jet and delta and
read some bad reviews on both. ( some good ones too ) as for use I might
want to turn pens, bowls, table legs etc so I want something heavy and
that can handle around 40" length, but still be precise enough for small
light work?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
John