Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WHat is this wood? Is it good for projects?

stryped wrote:

... Can you tell me what they
are and if they would be good for projects? They are varying widthe
between 6 inches and 10 inches. They are all 1inch thick. I am guessing
white oak but may be wrong.

Here are pictures I took:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ashlee...bum?.dir=/7d65

Its oak.

Red oak is porous, white is not. If you can take a small piece and
blow air through it like a straw, it's red oak. Also if you wet it and
it stinks like dead fish, it's red oak. Now you know why they age
wine in white oak barrels.

One last thing. I have bought some woodworking books and one of them
said you can finish and true an edge of a board with a router and
table. Is this true and could this be use dinstead of having to buy a
jointer?

Its eas to joint boards with a hand plane. Google for Stanley #7 or
#8, #607 or #608 planes. Millers Falls, Sargent, Winchester, Ohio
Tools, Union, old Records, Old Stanleys, Keen Kutter, and Fulton
are all good planes. You can also get a new one from Lie Nielsen,
for about the price of a power planer.

--

FF