Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default WHat is this wood? Is it good for projects?

There are many ways of jointing a board. The one with the router table is
more of a pain to set up than it's worth. I often do it with a router using
either a straightedge clamped or taped to the top of the board with top
bearing bit or I clamp the board to my bench, overhanging the edge a bit and
use a bottom bearing bit against the edge of the bench. You only need one
strait edge to run against the tablesaw fence. Years ago, a jointer in the
home shop was a rarity, though many people did fine work. Now, everyone
seems to think you have to have one. I don't and unless someone gives me
one, I probably never will. The planer is worth having though. Surfacing
boards without one is a pain.

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
One last thing. I have bought some woodworking books and one of them
said you can finish and true an edge of a board with a router and
table. Is this true and could this be use dinstead of having to buy a
jointer?

Again, thanks for your help and advice!