Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Refilling small propane cylinders

30 gallons are the smallest commercial bottles that are not required to the OPD.

If you upturn a OPD - it turns off. Cannot dump liquid from a OPD into an old tank.

When you buy a new tank - be sure the tank is dumped by the propane company.
The internal gas won't burn and it just fills it. They have a special tool
that allows dumping.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Jon Grimm wrote:
We have probably 6 of the old style 20 pounders. As a commercial entity,
we've never had to justify their use.
We use one 20 to power our Drott Go-Devil, and dad refills his camping
bottles as well.

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:34:40 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Steve B" quickly quoth:

I ALWAYS inverted my tanks. The big tank will sit nicely on its collar
on a
wood picnic table, with the smaller tank at a right angle.

I thought the OPD valves on new tanks prevented overfilling OR any
possible liquid propane discharge. Am I wrong? I'd rather refill
my old 1 pound tanks if possible.

Well, you will notice past tense. It shows how long it has been since I
refilled any of the tanks.

BTW, someone here said if you label the old tanks "FOR CUTTING ONLY" that
you can get them refilled.

Steve