BigWallop

Default Outside wiring: a long distance from house

"scouser" wrote in message
m...
I am nearing completion of a deck in the far corner of our garden. I
would like to add some lights and a water feature to it. The cable
run from the house is approximately 30 metres. My questions a

1) I am planning on connecting the wiring to a fused spur with rcd in
the house. Will the length of the wire run cause a problem with the
rcd (do not want it tripping every 30 seconds)

2) Will I be able to use the one run of cable for both the lights and
the water pump or will I need to run two seperate cables.

Thanks

Most installations of this type use SWA (steel wire armoured) Cable for
safety reasons. SWA gives more protection against intrusion to live
conductors from sharp tools or fencing stakes etc. and should be buried to
no less than 800 mm if not protected by any other materials. It should also
have a warning tape buried along with it, preferably 200 - 250 mm above it,
to tell people that a live cable is below.

Depending on the full load you're thinking of fitting at the end of the
cable, then you should be OK with one run of correctly gauged cable. But I
would ask you to check the full load of all lights and the water feature
when all are being switched on at the same time, as this will affect the
total current drawn through the cable. Also, an RCD is very much needed on
this type of installation, and it should be coupled along with a good earth
bonding, preferably at both ends, to provided a bit extra safety coverage if
working with digging tools and the likes.

The full load calculation will give you the gauge of cable you will need to
safely supply all the appliances and also tell you the trip value of any
automatic breakers you'll need to use. I would also ask you to take into
consideration, the fitting of an all weather outdoor socket at the decking
area. This will allow you to work with power tools or cleaning appliances
without the need to run extra extension leads and things.