Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bob

Default Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long)

If you want an idea about current home prices and features, go to a realtor
and ask to see their multi-list book. You can do that without ever having a
realtor come to your home. I understand what Craig is saying, but
unfortunately it doesn't always work that way, especially for a woman. Some
realtors are honest, but some are unscrupulous and will say almost anything
to get you to list the home. Don't fall for any lines, and don't sign
anything without thinking it over. Don't assume you can learn to love
another neighborhood. Many people have horror stories about neighbors.

If you decide to stay, one of the first things you want to do is get heat
and central a/c installed. After you do that, you can easily rip out the old
electric baseboard heat yourself. Then you might not need a new electric
panel, because you'll have a lot of empty spots from the electric heat
breakers. You also might be able to use some of the existing electric heat
wiring for more outlets. An electrician can advise you on that.

If you decide to hire a contractor, he should clean up after himself every
day, and that should be in the contract.

"Lauri" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:15:42 GMT, "Craig"
wrote:

"Lauri" wrote...

I'm struggling with the decision whether I should remodel my current
home or sell it and buy something newer with more of the features I
want...

Lauri in WA

Lauri,

I'd say it really depends on how much you love your current home &
location. The work you're describing sounds super major both in $$s and
contractors' time. Also, are you able to live happily in a construction

mess
for a lengthy period of time.

What I'd suggest doing is to call in a Realtor saying that you're
considering selling/buying and need advise vs. remodeling.

(snip)

Thanks for the good advice, Craig. This is something I will consider.
I really, really do love this neighborhood, but I know that I could
also learn to love another, equally nice neighborhood with a newer
home. Your point about living with construction mess is a good one.
Sigh. What I really need is a very handy boyfriend, but I guess
that's a post for a different newsgroup.

I could probably get by with a reduced list of wants/needs, but if I'm
being honest, it doesn't make much sense to do something like close in
the basement ceiling with a bunch of 75-year-old wiring behind it and
it's tough to add new outlets when the breaker box is pretty much at
capacity. So you can see how the whole project has expanded into a
potential major remodel!

Lauri in WA