Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Craig

Default Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long)

"Lauri" wrote...

I'm struggling with the decision whether I should remodel my current
home or sell it and buy something newer with more of the features I
want...

Lauri in WA

Lauri,

I'd say it really depends on how much you love your current home &
location. The work you're describing sounds super major both in $$s and
contractors' time. Also, are you able to live happily in a construction mess
for a lengthy period of time.

What I'd suggest doing is to call in a Realtor saying that you're
considering selling/buying and need advise vs. remodeling. Even given that a
Realtor's mindset is to have you sell/buy rather than remodel, I think you'd
be able to get an estimate from them on what your current home would sell
for (and what small improvements should be made prior to selling) and that
they'd be able to show you newer homes in the area that could be bought for
$40k-ish more than you'd sell for. Check out the newer homes and see if the
convenience of heat/AC/new kitchen/2-car garage, etc. make the current home
less desirable to you than it is now.

Craig