Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Default Need advice on monitoring the humidity in crawl space under house

I use the Oregon Scientific "Long Range Weather Forecaster with Audible
Alert
(BAR122HGLA) " partly for the exact purpose that you're referring to. It
come with a wireless remote and you can add 2 more channels -- I added the
THGR268 which is the Oregon Scientific Wireless ThermoHygrometer Sensor and
is the same as the one remote that is included with the BAR122HGLA. Since I
have two crawl spaces I have a wireless remote in each plus one outside and
then the base station gives me my living space readings.

My crawl spaces are closed off and I have gone through and sealed all the
rim joist areas of the crawl spaces as well as my partial basement. As
recommended by Advance Energy I also went through and sealed & Insulated all
of my ductwork in my crawl spaces. This has made a huge difference in the
air quality and comfort in our house!

When you put down your vapor barrier I would suggest you put down two layers
of 6mil plastic -- put down one layer that you'll be working on then before
you close it up I put down a second layer because no matter how careful you
are you are going to put holes in the plastic while working on it.

for a good reference on crawl spaces check
http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi.../crawl_spaces/

I am using dehumidifiers in each crawl space -- in one it has an internal
pump that pumps the water out the other space has a simple gravity line.
Both work OK.

wrote in message
I need to monitor the humidity in the crawl space under my house.
Radio Shack has a unit that you mount inside your house and then place
a remote sensor in the crawl space. Has anyone had experience with
this unit? Can anyone recommend a better uni?. I like the idea of
being able to monitor the humidity inside my house without having to
go into the crawl space.