Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jimi Hendrix" wrote in message

The voltage is right but the amperage may be way too high and fry the
drill--

the person who wrote this needs to enroll in a basic electricity class

too much amperage capacity in the voltage source will not fry anything, a
device will only pull what it needs based on the resistance of the drill

or

whatever

he could hook up his drill to an industrial battery that is the size of a
house, that is rated at 12V and 1 million amps, and it would not hurt the
drill

That was my first thought, but with motors, the motor will generate a back
EMF and if it is not turning fast enough, it will burn out. The
rechargables will not usually be able to put out enough current long enough
for this to hapen. Hooked to a car battery with a capacity of a few hundred
amps and the drill could burn out very quick in a stalled situation.

It should have a fuse that would preclude drawing hundreds of amps.