Posted to comp.sys.laptops,sci.electronics.repair
Barry Watzman

Default How can I fix a dead laptop?

From your questions, I'd say that YOUR chances of fixing it are near
zero. Don't take that personally, but this is a task that requires
skills that take years to learn, and about which you have no knowledge
(when you ask "how do I use a multimeter", it's clear that you have no
skills in this area).

Before you do anything to the laptop itself, however, verify that the
external power supply (AC adapter) is working. That would be the place
to start, it's either working or it's not, and if it's not, you replace
it and that might fix the problem.

Paul M wrote:
Hello,

My friend's laptop died several months ago during an
electrical storm. He gave it to me after he bought
another one. Being a little tight on budget, I would
really appreciate any help with bringing the laptop
back to life.

The laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron 4150 (model
number PP01L). Absolutely nothing happens when I press
the power button. No lights, no sounds, nothing.

I did some searching on the web and the newsgroups,
and it seems there is a slight hope I might be able
to save the laptop if I replace the power board.
I haven't opened up the laptop yet so I really don't
know if the laptop has a separate power board (i.e.,
not built into the motherboard).

Also, in order for me to more specifically diagose the
problem I need to get a (digital) mltimedter.

Here are my questions:

(1) What are the chances of saving this laptop by
replacing the power board (if any)?

(2) Could the BIOS have fried, or maybe some other
electrical component on the motherboard?

(3) Can someone please recommend a multimeter for
this kind of work? (Some of the decent multimeters
on the market cost above $100 and a lot more, like
the Fluke models.)

(4) How can I use a multimeter to determine any
dead electrical components on the motherboard?

(5) Any general comments or recommendations?

Thank you for any help and guidance.

Best regards,
Paul