Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

Default Square-Edge Bowl

In article ,
"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

I tried my first square-edge bowl today. The blank was a 5" x5" x 2" piece
of Honduras Mahogany. All went well as I mounted the blank on the woodworm
screw of my Super Nova chuck and proceeded to turn the back side of the
bowl. I was sanding with a small piece of sandpaper, when my hand slipped
and a couple of the wings cut two small, but deep gashes in my second
finger. Ouch!

A method that has been mentioned here is to hot-glue on some waste wood
around the square, so you can turn and sand full-round, then pop off the
waste wood and clean up the finished edges when you're done with the
faces.