Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Refilling small propane cylinders

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message
IME the little valve on the small propane tanks is not a normal shrader
valve but a reliefe valve. To open it you have to grab the pin with a
needle nose plier and pull out on it. You can then vent the small tank
and fill it as full as you like. If you get it over full it will vent
when it warms up.
Glenn

Exactly. It is activated by internal pressure. It looks like a Schrader,
but that is as far as it goes. Try one that is nearly empty with some
needlenose pliers.

What good would the safety device be if increasing pressure only seated it
more? You are 100 % correct, sir.

Steve

I agree. I've been refilling the little tanks for about 20 years, tho not
the same ones.;-) The small tank does not have to be colder than the big one
if you vent gas off the little one as you fill, but it would probably help.
The venting is gaseous untill the little tank is full. When filled, the
venting becomes liquid and it's easy to tell if your not wearing gloves! The
20# tank is kept upside down, the little tank upright. After a few
refillings the vent valves sometimes seep gas. I store these outside and use
them immediatley if I can. Sometimes they will stop leaking if you fiddle
with the valve, sometimes you lose the gas. I havent tried filling with the
OPD tanks yet. I tried getting a non-OPD tank refilled at Amerigas by
putting a sign on it that said 'FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY' but they wouldn't
do it. Company policy, no 20# refills on old tanks. I'm going to try the
little tank in the freezer trick next. The percentage of propane lost to
venting, now that the cost of propane is higher, is enough that the gas
lost may be significant.
Good luck and please don't smoke while refilling.

--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop