Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Ball Bearing Question

"Richard Ferguson" wrote
It is a little hard to say without seeing a sketch of what you are talking
about. I would consider tapered roller bearings for that application,
since I think that you would have substantial thrust on the bearing. (The
thrust would be the 400 pounds plust he weight of the arm.) I would be
tempted to use a tapered roller bearing top and bottom.

The pole is 2" x 2" x .250", and is 15' long. The whole 20' piece is 91#,
plus the weight of the hoist, about 25#, then plus the load, so around 250#
sitting on the base.

The pole will have a pin coming out of each end to keep it in whatever I
finally decide to use for a mounting. I believe I can find a squarebore
harrow disc bearing with a 2" opening for the middle standoff.

I like your suggestions about a tapered bearing or a bushing. Will go to
the bearing place, and I am sure they can hook me up.

I was just looking for a quick easy way with the single ball bearing idea so
the load would sit right on one ball.

Thanks

Steve