Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default What's 0 on boiler pressure gauge mean?

Richard Marx wrote:

Sorry to say the one on the other end of the rad is leaking as well,
very slowly. I'm not sure about your description of what to do,
however, as I don't see a small nut near the end of the shaft. Maybe
it's a different type?

Clicky piccie: http://tinyurl.com/d84n3

If I remove the nut, presumably water will flood out?

I'm not sure - I'm more used to valves which look like this:
http://www.mills37.plus.com/rad_valve.JPG

On my valves, the top hexagon is connected to an externally threaded bit
which screws inside the valve body, and compresses the gland packing. You
can remove that without any significant leaks. It's the next hexagon down -
which is about 1/2" high - which would have to be undone to cause a flood.

I can't see from your photo whether there are nuts on two levels, or not. I
can see a tallish internally threaded nut at the top, with the shaft
sticking up through it. Is there a thinner nut below it? If so, the top nut
may be a gland nut. If you undo it slightly, does it feel as if just the nut
can be removed - or does it feel like the whole innards will come out if you
unscrew it fully?

If it *isn't* a gland nut, how the hell are you supposed to fix leaking
glands - anybody know? [Probably a silly question - you throw the valve away
and fit a new one!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square