Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Marx

Default What's 0 on boiler pressure gauge mean?

"Set Square" wrote in message
Richard Marx wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
remaining rooms. If the system is already in reasonable balance, you can
get away
with just turning down the rad near the room stat - using trial and
error to find suitable valve settings.

Cheers Setty(!), however I have just done this and water is *very* slowly
seeping out of the join in the shaft, between where it turns. How
can I stop this? It is fine when fully open, but not midway.

It's leaking from the gland round the shaft - which needs to be tightened
or re-packed.

First try tightening the small nut nearest the end of the shaft. This will
compress the gland material onto shaft. If that doesn't work, remove the
nut, wind some fine hemp or string (but not nylon) round the shaft, and
refit and tighten the nut - so that the nut pushes the string down into
the gland region. With any luck, that will fix it.

Sorry to say the one on the other end of the rad is leaking as well, very
slowly. I'm not sure about your description of what to do, however, as I
don't see a small nut near the end of the shaft. Maybe it's a different
type?

Clicky piccie: http://tinyurl.com/d84n3

If I remove the nut, presumably water will flood out?

Any other 'quick fix' that is less complicated?

Thanks