Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Help with lighting issue please

There's a big difference between a 'lighting consultant' and going to your
local electrical supply house or lighting store and getting suggestions. A
lot of lighting stores have people who know more than you would ever think
imaginable about lighting. Electrical supply houses usually have guys behind
the counter who know a lot also. None of this will cost you any money,
because they want your business. (Do not go in and pick their brain and then
go to a crap store like Home Depot to buy.)
If you take their suggestions, and also buy the quality they are selling,
then you'll probably be happy with the results. Only install one fixture at
first and keep the rest in the boxes. If you aren't happy with the results,
they are easily returned.

"Mike W." wrote in message
Yeah... we've discussed visiting a lighting consultant, but were afraid
of the price. We have no special needs that we know of... we can't
understand how 60 watt bulbs are enough for anyone so maybe we do have
special needs.

Thanks.
Mike W.

Norminn wrote:
clipped

any of the local big box home stores that will take more than 60 watt
bulbs. 60 watt bulbs are weak in my opinion. You can have 20 of them
in a room and still have a certain level of light that cant be
improved. Why can't I find fixtures that take 2 100 watt bulbs?
What options are there for me now that it would be a 'remodel' upgrade?

Thanks.

Mike W.

I think the best chance of getting a real improvement would be to visit
a lighting store that can address your situation and needs. Natural
light, room colors, uses all are factors in making a choice. You can
probably get a chandelier with 2 100's, but perhaps too hot for a
ceiling fixture? Is your vision ok, or have special needs?