Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Default Finishuiing Purpleheart

The problem with purpleheart is that, over time and with exposure to UV
light, it will go from purple to a dark, not-very-attractive brown.
Every now and then I've heard reports of purpleheart which kept its
color but I've never seen an example.

Any oil, even Tung oil is going to darken it even more and I'd suggest
against it.

The idea of using Armorall is precipitated by the fact that it contains
a UV inhibitor. I've tried it but really can't say if it works or not.

I'd use a surface finish -- spray deft comes to mind. And, I think I'd
try the Armorall under it. Since it is water based, though, it may
raise the grain.

Between purpleheart's brittleness and failure to hold color, it is my
last choice of woods for just about anything except tool handles -- it
makes dandy tool handles because of its density.

Bill

Dorothy and Richard Shelson wrote:
Hi all:

I took your advice and purchased Mike Darlow's book on Turning Chessmen.
I am trying to turn the firs set in Purpleheart. I am now trying to
figure out the best way to put a finish on them. What is the best way? I
have Tung Oil and Paste wax. I have Shellway Cream which I would love to
try but it warns that if the wood has too much oil it can dullen the
finish. One web site seems to suggest using Armorall under Lacquer. Any
suggestions from this august group.

Thanks in advance.

Richard