Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Square-Edge Bowl

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
I tried my first square-edge bowl today. The blank was a 5" x5" x 2" piece
of Honduras Mahogany. All went well as I mounted the blank on the
woodworm
screw of my Super Nova chuck and proceeded to turn the back side of the
bowl. I was sanding with a small piece of sandpaper, when my hand slipped
and a couple of the wings cut two small, but deep gashes in my second
finger. Ouch!

After a little self-applied first-aid, I resumed turning and finished my
first square-edge bowl, a little wounded and perhaps, (hopefully) a bit
smarter. Watch those wings!

I like to use the opposite color method to help with the wings. Lay a
light-colored piece of cardboard under/behind a darker wood, opposite for
light.

You can also play with your lighting, of course, but it seems the best view
of the "ghost" wings comes from a spot position that you block immediately
as you start sanding.

Got pin jaws for the Nova? Try the method in
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...to&PhotoID=237
and a few "Next" taps.

As Darrell says, sanding with lathe off is a good choice, and since you can
sand in straight lines more easily with square stuff, it's often my first
choice inside.