Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Question on Carbon Monoxide gas

In article , Tom Miller says...

Ya, Jim, I'll be careful. tomorrow. I begin
setting up a new meat packing machine that uses a
VERY small dose of CO in the inerting gas which
fills the package after the air has been vacuumed
out..
I've insisted that the mixer and supply bottles be
stored in the open air. All connections in the
factory will be welded stainless steel.

In some places that would not be considered sufficient.

Consider a vented toxic gas cabinet, and double-walled
tubing, with the outer space vented and exhausted.

At the least, leak check all the connections before
using it, and consider the drill when changing cylinders.
CO detectors too?

The only reason I mention this is that a co-worker got
a whiff of arsine gas at a plant at one time. The
cylinders were stored in a vented gas room, but both belts
had broken on the exhaust fan, *and* the regulator had
been installed such that there was a tiny leak. He went in
the room and though, hmm, something smells like garlic...

The damage was fortunately small and he recovered.

Jim

please reply to: