Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
E. Walter Le Roy

Default Ball Bearing Question

Why not use Timken tapered bearings, or maybe a ball thrust bearing? Regular
ball types will not stand too much end thrust.
Walt
"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to put about 400# on the end of a support that I want to swivel.
I figure I am going to use a #8 grade bold in a vertical position. This
will rest on one ball bearing.

I have seen these ball bearings used in weld on hinges for large wrought
iron gates. The weight rests entirely on these bearings, and there is a
zirk fitting.

What hardness are the ball bearings? Do you think the combination of the
two would be a lifetime application? I think this would be a very
workable thing, even if I just use a hinge intended for wrought iron use,
and mount the vertical shaft one or two inches offset, just to get it to
ride on the bearing.

It's for the bottom pivot point for a davit hoisting mechanism.

Thanks.

Steve