Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison

Default Advice required on 10 year old central heating system..

On 5 Jan 2006 11:02:53 -0800, in uk.d-i-y "Mike"
wrote:

Is it ok to replace the radiator valves? My dad is pretty confident we
can do it easily enough and I want to put two TRVs on the bedroom
radiators if I can anyway. So while I am draining the whole system it
may be just as well to replace the weapy valves.

Yes, they are very cheap. But if they are otherwise in good condition it
may be sufficient to just tighten the gland nut .

Is there anything I need to know about TRVs, Valves with respect to my
10mm plastic pipe or should they (screwfix, toolstation ones) be ok to
fit?

You need to be aware of "balancing". If it has already been done
(unlikely!!) the lockshield valves will be set in the correct position
so note the settings so you can reset them after replacing the rads.
Balancing is explained here
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

My dad has fitted my TRVs on 10mm metal pipe but he is little unsure of
the plastic type.

Plastic and copper pipe is inter-operable so should fit the same if you
have 10mm TRVs. They are more commonly available as 15mm though which
you could use with a 15/10mm reducer.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me