Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

In article ,
"Greg Lyman" wrote:

The only wood I have experience with and have found challenging to keep
together is Apricot. I do rough turn it and love it. I have tried the LDD
process on Apricot over a period of a couple of years and many pieces some
in the pot and some cured more conventionally.

I've not turned apricot but love it whenever I get ahold of some plum.
About the only way I've been successful with plum is by boiling. Some
folks have commented that the color of their plum has diminished
markedly over a short time, but my boiled pieces appear as gorgeous as
they did years ago. (They are in an interior bookcase and not subject to
direct sunlight, so maybe that is a major factor compared to the folks
offering their comments. I believe some of it tho is a factor of
boiling.)

AAMOF, here's a pic of one of them:
http://66.116.216.38/images/Lowe5.jpg

Put in a pot of cold tap water, bring the heat up, let sit in a roiling
boil for at least an hour, cut the heat and allow to cool in the water.
Then wipe dry and air dry for an hour or so and paper bag for several
weeks to two months. Haven't lost one yet doing it this way.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.