Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

In article . net,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

they say use kirkland LDD (
costco's house brand) but my closest costco is 2 hours away oneway plus $45
membership which will never get used. I also am exploring options. Word is
not yet in as to whether or not other brands of LDD will. I wore out google
and yahoo trying to establish who make kirkland and what it has in it. No
luck so far.

As one who has made it a tenet his personal religion to avoid Costco,
Home Depot, and other behemoths of retail, I have had very good success
with Sunlight brand -- yellow as Mike recommended.

:-o

I just pulled a small Filbert (Hazelnut) bowl out of the "soup" after
forgetting about it since January of '03. Wiped it off and set it on the
shelf to "off-gas". The thing certainly feels dry - weight wise - after
only a couple weeks. It also doesn't appear to have distorted anywhere
near as much as the other Filbert bowls I made back in '03 from the same
wood haul. I lost probably 80-90% of the other pieces due to major
cracking while brown bagging them for 6 months or so in my basement.

(I know how to brown bag and usually have excellent results with the
other woods I use like Black Walnut, Big Leaf Maple and the like.)

BTW, that bright sunny yellow Sunlight dish soap is now a motor oil
colored witches brew.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.