Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Ebay prices crack me up!

Toller wrote:
"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

[uh, I think I got that right...]

And what is lame or dishonest about it?

So if I sold you a car for $100 and charged you a $15,000 delivery fee
that wouldn't be lame? (and *of course* you can't pick it up dummy)

Okay, the car costs $15,100. Is that lame or dishonest? Seems perfectly
honest and straight forward to me.

It's dishonest especially when the seller has somehow misrepresented the
item such that it doesn't have the value to you you thought it did...
and the seller won't reimburse you for the "shipping" charges. It happens.

Ebay rules to live by:

1. 98.5% feedback is marginal, you have a good chance of being
disappointed if you bid on this ID's item. This is hard to judge
though, being stochastic, especially when the ID has less than several
hundred sales.

2. Read the feedback. If it's marginal it may be because some whiny
fussbudgets needed their swing at the world. Conversely, people are
insanely reluctant to leave negative feedback, but may drop hints in the
comments. I have a comment to make about some chisels I got recently
but I've never left negative feedback (I follow these rules and am
about to break that record... severe pitting and deep toolmarks that
were neither pictured nor described.*

3. Only bid on stuff you can calculate the final cost out of your pocket
for. Obviously it's nice to know what you're going to pay, and knowing
the max amount you're willing to pay you can adjust your bid accordingly.

4. If it smells like bad fish, it probably is bad fish.

5. Know the value of what you're bidding on.

6. If you're unsure about something, ask (before the last two days of
the auction...)

7. Don't bid on poorly photographed or inadequately described items.
This is the hard one. "Good condition", "great user", etc., seem to
have very different meaning for some people than for myself.

8. Don't let that stupid clown (who doesn't know what he's willing to
pay for the item) know what you're willing to pay.

9. Pray to the gods of the shadows that a veil has been cast over that
one item you must have, that no others will find it.

* Contact them? I haven't because what they did, or didn't do, is
already done... I'm keeping the chisels because the pitting is far up
the back of the chisel (they're 12" blades) and the toolmarks are
cosmetic problems on something I got for using. But still, they were
given a "shine" on a buffing wheel to make them look passably good for
sale on ebay, and given the other items ID was selling they were
obviously savvy to old-toolers requirements.

er
--
email not valid