Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Question on Carbon Monoxide gas

"Jim McGill" wrote
in message
One other nasty thing about CO that I didn't
notice anybody mention is that the hemoglobin in
your red blood cells with preferentially absorb
CO rather than O2 if CO is present. That's part
of the reason it's so toxic. It locks up your
hemoglobin and you suffocate for lack of O2. But
it's also an anesthetic (as is CO2) so you just
fall asleep. I've been a runner forever (well
since 1961 - close enough). Back in the 70's
when I used to smoke a pipe, I noticed I just
didn't seem to have as much energy the next day.
Turns out it takes ~36 hours for CO to
equilibrate out of your hemoglobin when there is
no CO present in the air. One pipe full of
tobacco and I was probably 5% impaired. Pretty
scary. That's why they treat CO poisoning with
pure O2, they're trying to get the hemoglobin to
let go of the CO.

Bottom line, be very careful around any source
of CO. You could end up dead and never know it.

Jim

Ya, Jim, I'll be careful. tomorrow. I begin
setting up a new meat packing machine that uses a
VERY small dose of CO in the inerting gas which
fills the package after the air has been vacuumed
out..
I've insisted that the mixer and supply bottles be
stored in the open air. All connections in the
factory will be welded stainless steel.