Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Soldering copper pipe connected to PEX

wrote in message

Is that stuff solidly installable. In other words, does it sag
between hangers?

It is really kind of stiff although it can be bent eaier than soft copper
tubing.

Can it be used on HOT water?

Yes, it is good to 180 degrees. I have a section in my baseboard heat as
I've had a problem wiht copper in a certain place twice.

Is there any advantage
over PVC pipe?

Easier to install, less fittings as it come son long coils and can be run
around gentle bend and through walls with no spicing or fittings every 10
feet.

Personally, I was not highly impressed with what I saw. The stuff
looks flimsy, probably has a relatively short life expectancy, and
seems easy to damage.

Not as flimsy as you think. Life span is over 100 years and not all that
readily damaged. You can puncture copper tubing with a nail just as easily.
It will take a bit of freezing and not split, an advantage over copper. Why
not handle a piece of it before you decide how strong or weak it may be?
http://www.pmengineer.com/CDA/Articl...,62120,00.html
Wirsbo PEX is durable, corrosion resistant and has a life expectancy of over
100 years.

Not to mention the need for special tools. It
also appears that the fittings can not be taken apart. Just
curious....

You can use compression fittings. You can easily splice into it. Right
now, the tools are expensive for the homeowner that may want to make a cut
in a line every five years, but then, compression fitting solve that. Tools
will become cheaper in the future just like everything else.

Personally I will only use metallic pipe as in copper, or galv. steel.
I dont care for house floods, and expect my plumbing to last at least
30 years. I have never been impressed with PVC for water supply
either (it's great for drainage and sewer). But the PEX looks even
less durable than PVC.

You are basing your assessment on what???? Time to open your mind and let
some new information in. I expect my plumbing to last much more than 30
years too. I'd definitely use pex in my next house