Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul O.

Default Hot water heater valve

Have a few questions concerning the valve on our water heater. It is in our
mobile home and is about 6 years old. The wife got hot water for about 1/2
bathtub of water. I went out to look at the heater and the pilot was going
but not the burner. I started rapping on the valve and thermostat housing
and the burner came on. So apparently the valve was stuck. So now my
questions:
1) Is this a sign of more frequent problems?
2) Can this housing, valve and thermostat be replaced easily, or at all? If
so is it worth it on a 6 year old heater?
3) If the valve can stick closed, can it stick open allowing the burner to
keep burning?
Thanks for your input here, I know little about this.

--
Paul O.